PMFLIST Archives

January 2020

From:
Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 15:23:46 -0500
Barry,

See Cundell, A. M. Water Monitoring *in* Microbial Contamination Control in
the  Pharmaceutical Industry Edited L. Jimenez Marcel Dekker 2004.

A key reference would be Reasoner, D.J. Monitoring heterotrophic bacteria
in potable waterIn: McFeters G.A. editor. Drinking Water Microbiology:
Progress and Recent Developments. Springer-Verlag 1990 pp452-477

In general, the less rich the media, the lower the incubation temperature,
and the longer the incubation time the higher the count. In terms of
methods spread plate > membrane filtration > pour plate.

For a monitoring program designed to detect adverse trend, choice a method
and stick with it. Like most microbiology, no absolutes here.

Tony

--
Tony Cundell, Ph. D.
Consulting Microbiologist