PMFLIST Archives

August 2020

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 09:16:19 -0400
From:
Hi Frank,

Sporulation is common to Bacilli species yet the efficiency of the process,
length of time to convert the maximum possible % under given conditions
etc. are strain specific.

For "normal" Bacillus strains AK sporulation agar (available commercially)
worked well in our hands.

The idea is to create a large surface area of medium and inoculate with a
culture grown within rich medium. Once the culture is washed the minimal
agar support some growth but the starvation and lack of nutrients lead to
spores formation. This process may take up to two weeks to complete. We got
90% and up pure spore cultures by heat treatment comparison and close to a
100% based on spore staining. Temperature, inoculum concentration (cfu/sq
inch), and other parameters may need optimization.
You may want to examine B. thuringensis literature as the industrial
production of this spore forming was optimized many years ago.

Hanan