From:
rfriedel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert R. Friedel
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:15:32 -0500
The media they are probably referring to is Presence/Absence Broth or a
similar  coliform detection media containing "MUG" reagent.

MUG or "Methylumbelliferyl-beta-D-glucuronide" is used to detect E. coli.
When this chemical is cleaved by glucuronidase (an enzyme specific to E.
coli),  a fluorogenic product is produced.  When examined under long-wave UV
light, the medium with fluoresce.

This chemical adjunct is recognized by USDA, EPA, and AOAC in testing for
the presence of E. coli.

Available thru:  The Hach Company, Loveland, Colorado (800) 227-4224

Robert R. Friedel
(formerly Research Microbiologist, Whitehall-Robins Healthcare)
Quality Assurance Manager
Laboratory Research & Analysis Groups
Perritt Laboratories, Inc.