From:
Winfried RAPATZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:33:54 +0100
Dear Richard,
I think it would be a good idea to clarify this question, but I also think, that it is not easy.
My believe is based on years of culturing our beloved little bugs. If you want a controlled study, showing the
influence, the problem is, where to get a defined test population. It is difficult enough to get a defined number
(idealy one) of microorganisms into a growth media. But you need them in a similar shape like the ones you will pick
up in our environement, which I belive is impossible. The ones which will grow or will not grow depending on a
temperatur shift we are discussing here, are probably in very bad shape and need a good deal of repair to start
growth. They come from a hositle environment, few nutritients and lots of desinfectants and are the few
survivors. How do you simulate that? Your idea of spliting the lot is not so bad, but we are talking of 0 - maybe 3
positives in the lot, you will not get a significant answer.
We tried our environmental  isolates, which took up to six weeks to grow, diluted them to ~ 10 cfu / ampoule and
filled them. None took more than 24 hours of incubation, regardless of incubation temperature to get turbid.
Kind regards
Mag. Winfried Rapatz
The statement above is my opinion only!