From:
"Sturm, Pam, HMR/US" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:17:50 -0600
It sounds as if they are using the MUG test to screen for E. coli;  the test
detects the capability of an unknown organism to produce beta-glucuronidase.
I've seen the test primarily as reagent-impregnated discs or cards, but I
understand that there's a tube test also, into which the MUG
(4-methylumbeliferyl-B-D-glucuronidase, don't be too impressed here, I had
to look up the spelling) is incorporated.  It's a pretty good screen, but if
that's all they do, I would think that they might miss other isolates of
interest--you might want to check the technical insert.  If you're
interested, I believe Remel labs markets a version.  (I guess they aren't
into automated systems in Japan, since it sounds like they're performing
conventional ID's--seems surprising.)
Hope this is of help to you,
Pam Sturm