On 14 May 1796, 224 years ago. Jenner tested his hypothesis that cowpox
vaccination would protect against smallpox by inoculating James Phipps
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Phipps>, an eight-year-old boy who was
the son of Jenner's gardener. He scraped pus from cowpox blisters on the
hands of Sarah Nelmes, a milkmaid who had caught cowpox from a cow called
Blossom.

He later challenged the boy with smallpox and confirmed he was immune.

We wish the developers of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine every success.
Tony Cundell